Sunday, October 14, 2012

I know it has been forever since I posted! I apologize. A lot has happened since my last post, but I think during my short trip back to the States I was able to update some of you. During the month of September I worked a lot in the office in Port au Prince on various odd jobs and made a very quick trip home since flights were cheap and work was light.

Today I finished hosting a physical therapy and prosthetics team in Les Cayes, a major city in the southern peninsula. It was the first time I've been to southern Haiti and I was really impressed. It's much more developed than northern Haiti and the city is really enjoyable to live in. It has a lot of amenities like Port au Prince, but without the traffic and international influence. We stayed in a guest house run by an agronomy ministry which teaches Haitians advanced farming and livestock techniques and sends them out into smaller communities to work and train others. It's pretty awesome.

MTI has a physical therapy clinic in Les Cayes called the Advantage Program that is run by a full time physical therapist from the states. She is really amazing and dedicated and has been working in Haiti for a long time. The PT team was great and did a lot to help the director. The volunteers had good attitudes the whole time and were very enjoyable to be with. They treated some interesting patients, including a surprising amount of stroke victims.

I do have to mention our most notable patient who was a 25yo man with a deformity from birth that kept his left knee locked at a 90 degree angle. He use to walk using a long pole until this summer when he had surgery to amputate at the knee. He walked on two legs for the first time in his life this past week thanks to a prosthetic made by one of the volunteers. The look on his face was something to see.

That's all I can post at the moment but more updates are coming soon. Check out "Medical teams international - Haiti" on facebook for a bunch of pictures. Thanks again for all the support and encouragement--it means a lot to me. Peace and love.


The beach in Les Cayes

No comments:

Post a Comment